The Home County Folk League (HCFL) was founded in 1974, and launched its first Home County Folk Festival that summer in downtown London at Victoria Park. It has presented this festival (now called the Home County Music & Art Festival) since its founding, missing only this year due to the COVID pandemic. It also curates other events, such as concerts and art shows throughout the year.
The HCFL is looking for people to help make it even better. There are openings available for Board and Committee members (full details are below).
The Home County Folk League is governed by an eleven-person Board of Directors that is elected by the League’s membership. This Fall, there will be four vacancies on the Board that need to be filled by a vote of the Membership at the Annual General Meeting to be held at the end of November. In order to run for the Board, potential candidates must fill in an application form and submit it to email@example.com. The Planning & Governance Committee reviews all the applications for eligibility and puts together the final list of nominees to run for the available positions.
Briefly, here is what is expected of Board Members:
- To promote, endorse and work diligently to achieve the Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan.
- Attend Board meetings, typically held the 3rd Tuesday of every month from 7-9pm. Meetings are held every month except July and December.
- Review, understand and comply with governance policies and relevant operational policies.
- Actively participate in at least one board committee and follow through on commitments and assignments.
- Engage with the business of the organization, including communicating effectively through electronic means.
- Attend General Meetings of the membership.
- Participate actively in the planning and execution of the Home County Music and Art Festival, typically the 3rd weekend in July.
The letter outlining these Board responsibilities and the application form can be obtained HERE
Our on-going Committees are crucial to the running of the organization in all its various aspects. These committees are populated in part by Board members, but it is also important to have representatives from the community at large, some with specific expertise that would benefit a particular committee.
In general, these are the expectations of Committee Members:
- Attend committee meetings as scheduled, usually 6-10 meetings per year.
- Prepare for meetings in advance by studying the agenda, reading all supporting material, and researching topics and issues.
- Participate actively in meeting discussions and formulation of recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Complete any assigned tasks in the time frame negotiated.
The Committees that make major decisions on what we do and how we do it include the following:
Festival Operations Committee
This is the group that does all the detailed planning about Festival operations Things like production (sound & lighting), site infrastructure, performer hospitality, volunteer coordination, safety & security, food and craft vendors, etc.
Sponsorship & Fund Development Committee
Home County depends on government grants, corporate sponsorships and private donations for all of its operating costs. This committee is responsible for identifying appropriate federal, provincial and municipal grants and writing the applications for them as well as seeking out corporate sponsorships and donations.
This committee handles all the public communication and promotion of the Festival and other events throughout the year. This includes media promotion and all social media and website activities as well.
Planning & Governance Committee
This is the group that looks after the details of how the organization is governed. It drafts policies and procedures for Board approval and oversees the strategic planning activities of the League. It is also the nominating committee for the election of Board members.
This Committee handles the details of the League’s financial management and ensures that the Board meets its fiduciary responsibilities.
This committee plans and manages all of the shows and other events presented by the League outside of the Festival itself. This usually amounts to between 3 and 5 events per year.
If you are interested in joining a particular Committee or Committees, information and the application form are available HERE